029 | Fashion Scene Diversity: Fight Against the New Dynasty?

1:51:00 PM

First, I intent to do this blog post because of my personal exploration in how fashion and reality TV are friends to each other, and I can see that it’s changing-- in an interesting way as the time evolves as well. Now, let me talk about what I explored on both fashion & reality TV scenes nowadays. I clearly can see that the diversity is getting stronger. Here are stuffs that I noticed couple months back.

Muslim Contestant at Project Runway Junior season 2.
This 16 years old Muslim black girl Hawwaa Ibrahim from Minnesota made her debut for being selected at the 2nd season of Project Runway Junior. And she’s doing good so far and she’s known for her colorful execution and quirky design aesthetics. Personally, it is very refreshing to be able to see a Muslim young girl covered in hijab in American national television. And I’m pretty sure that she inspired lots young girl at her age and the community as well.

First Ever Ethnic Winner of Elite Model Look
Elite Model Look is an absolute front runner in world modelling competition. For 33 years running, there is no ethnic winner- no Asian, no African, no Hispanic coming from the competition. Until the 2016 World Final, they picked this 20 years old Nigerian Davidson Obennebo as its very first ethnic winner of the competition.


Couple months later, he made his debut to an international fashion scene. And it’s pretty big. He opened and closed the Autumn/Winter Versace collection earlier this January. I’m pretty sure big opportunities are coming for him and surely we can’t wait where he’s up next.

More Diverse Reality TV Casts
I frequently watching Project Runway nowadays, and a bit of America’s Next Top Model-- even though I lose my interest a bit because the show has literally changed its format. But what is really obvious for me is the model line-ups for Project Runway Junior season 2. From 12 models appeared episode 1 final look, I can count that there are 6 black models, 2 Asian models and only 2 Caucasian models walking. And I think it is such a good move in how they promote the diversity in a worldwide reality show.


So now, what is all about? Late 2016 is like the awakening in how the Western world promotes lots of diverse casts in entertainment industry that I personally think that; does it has a little correlation of the new born-like “dynasty” at the superpower country? After all those obvious statement of racism and misogyny, is it how they fight against the new dynasty by showing lots of diversity?

You Might Also Like

0 comments